Are you an athleisure wear mom, or in other words a momma who lives in her activewear?
If you’re not familiar with what athleisure wear is, then let me enlighten you… right from Wikipedia…
Athleisure is a trend in fashion in which clothing designed for workouts and other athletic activities is worn in other settings, such as during work, trips to school, or other casual or social occasions. Athleisure outfits are yoga pants, tights and leggings that “look like athletic wear” and are characterized as “fashionable, dressed up sweats and exercise clothing”.
Now that you know, are you an athleisure wearing momma… some of the time, most of the time, or all of the time?
Remember a couple of years ago that “Activewear” video being so popular, I admit I shared it on my social media channels and with all my girlfriends. It still gets stuck in my head and my husband sings it to me whenever I’m caught out in my “activewear” either all day after a work out or just getting dressed because ((FOR ME)) I’m lazy and don’t want to put something else on ((no judgement ladies, this is just for me.))
So, I’ve been thinking about athleisure wear, it appears it kind of contradicts what my blog is sharing and trying to encourage moms to do… get up, get dressed and feeling good in what they have on. Being the example to their daughters (and sons for that matter) that there is an appropriate time to wear activewear / athleisure wear (and any kind of clothing for that matter) and then there’s really not. For me, if I’m hanging out at home, doing yard work, working out, hiking, biking, etc then athleisure wear is a great go-to. It’s comfortable and there are some really cute things out there. However, on a daily basis for me… I’m not just at home and I kinda like to shower after I work out (though, hey, I know that’s not always realistic), so that’s why I encourage moms to love their athleisure wear, when it’s appropriate and then other times – grab your jeans and tee’s if that’s your look!
If you are looking for athleisure wear.. you’ll be seeing me in mine more as I head outdoors for exercise (walks with friends during sports practices, running, gardening, yard work, etc) then KicksUSA an online website, specializing in athleisure & activewear is worth checking out. They have something for everyone in the family pretty much & carry some favorite active wear brands – Nike, Adidas, Jordan, Converse, etc. I’ve been sporting a Nike Hoodie a lot, even with my favorite jeans and tees, and it’s just one of the many items available.
If you love the feel of athleisure wear, here’s a few suggestions how to take it from “activewear” to a cute outfit incorporating those favorite pieces.
- Dress for the occasion! You wouldn’t wear a strappy sandals and a short dress to your kids soccer game, don’t wear athleisure wear to church of a family get together (unless of course you’re gonna kick butt at the family baseball tourney!)
- Shower and look presentable. Grab a little make-up and spruce up yourself. It will make you feel better & you won’t look like you just threw on something out of bed or left your workout clothes on all day.
- Mix and match the pieces. Wear your favorite leggings with a long tunic and sandals – remember to keep it modest. Wear your favorite athletic tops with jeans, your favorite jackets with a more casual look.
- Find a pair of stylish sneakers! Keep your workout sneakers for working out and your fun sneakers for style.
- Go bold with a pair of joggers and pumps and a more structured top.
- Use your accessories to change up just your sporty look to a more sporty chic look.
If you want to find some great pieces to mix for fashion & athletic wear, KicksUSA is a great spot to start shopping. I gravitate towards their vintage pieces & would love to add lots.
What are your thoughts on athleisure wear? Keep the conversation going. 😉
Sample provided, all opinions are my own.