Did you know that June 21st is National Selfie Day? Seems fitting after these statistics came back… According to a recent U.S. Cellular survey, more than two thirds of wireless users (71%) keep themselves entertained by taking photos and posting (67 %) on social media. So why not a day to celebrate! If you’re among those percentages, then take advantage of these Tips for Taking the Perfect Selfie.
- You need a good phone that takes front-facing photo’s. The iPhone 7 offers a 7 megapixel front-facing camera for high-quality selfies. The Samsung Galaxy S8 includes a front-facing “selfie camera” which offers smart auto focus that actually tracks faces to make sure you get a clear and in focus selfie.
- Use the right light. Avoid fluorescent lights and instead opt for natural, indirect light such as outside or near a window, and be sure the light is coming from behind. The best lighting is the golden hour before sunset – that natural glow can’t be beat.
- Work the angles. You can experiment with different camera angles by tilting the device slightly off center and sideways to find the “good side” of your face. While it may seem unnatural at first, selfie professionals recommend leaning your head to one side or, alternatively, angling the camera. A selfie taken at an angle is almost always more flattering than one taken straight-on.
- Spotlight activities on your social media channels. With U.S. Cellular’s high-quality network, capturing and sharing selfies from a hike, vacation, concert, trendy new restaurant, or with best friends is easy and quick.
- Crop before posting. Selfie-takers should remember that for a perfect “photo finish,” they should pay attention to what’s happening behind them to avoid any awkward backgrounds.
- There are many helpful apps that can improve selfies, enhancing the contrasts, smoothing skin, and embellishing them with cool edits and designs. One such app is Perfect 365, a virtual makeup app, allows users to improve their complexion, hide imperfections, add blush, mascara and other cosmetics virtually. Experiment with different app options and see which is best.
Six tips for taking the perfect selfie. Are you a selfie taker, and if so, what kind of tips can you offer? Lighting and getting the right angle are on the top of my list for capturing that perfect selfie, no matter what you’re looking to share. I hope to catch your perfect selfie using the tips for taking the perfect selfie on June 21st for National Selfie Day.