Hey friends, so I’ve been kind of smitten with denim on denim these days & after sharing some of my denim on denim outfits, I thought I would share with you some tips on how to wear denim on denim so you’re not screaming western cowboy, or look like you’ve stepped right out of your 80’s closet.
Tips on How to Wear Denim on Denim.
- The easiest way to start wearing denim on denim is to choose a chambray/denim shirt and wear it over a patterned or colored skinny jean. Perfect for spring would be to pair your denim top with a pair of white skinny jeans. This is by far the most fail safe way to wear denim on denim.
- Vary your shades of denim, you don’t want to look 80’s with matchy matchy denim. I’d start with a lighter wash on top and a dark wash on bottom (like seen above.) A darker wash will give you a more slimming appearance and with the bottom half typically being women’s problem areas, this creates s a stylish look while also slimming your appearance.
- Break up your denim on denim by adding a blazer, cardigan, or jacket of another material and color. You still have the denim on denim look, but it breaks it up with some color.
- Add distressed jeans to your denim on denim look with some color in your footwear. By adding a distressed jean, you’re kind of breaking up the denim on denim and creating a bit of an edgier vibe
- Wear your denim with a tee and denim vest or jacket over top. I love the ideas of a vest over a blue tee and a pair of dark skinny jeans.
- Mix up the way you wear your denim on top. Wear your denim/chambray shirt half tucked, tucked with the back out, tucked, completely un-tucked or even knotted. This gives you an effortless, chic look without trying hard.
There you have some of my tips on how to wear denim on denim to look stylish, practical and casual for every single day.
This outfit is so easy to wear & are new pieces I’ve added to my wardrobe for spring. This top is the Tencel Indigo pullover top from J.Jill, new to their March collection. It’s incredibly soft and perfect for everyday. I love the lighter wash for spring & if you have a larger bust line, it’s much easier to style then a button up denim shirt. These jeans are the Hudson mid-rise skinny jean and they hit just perfectly on the waist to hide any muffin top. A bit more pricey, but they’re so soft and a classic skinny that can be worn with just about anything.
Sample provided & affiliate links used, all opinions are my own.